Meet Sarah and the team involved in this expedition. Keep checking back as the team is constantly growing as we get closer to paddle time!
Hey there - thanks for checking out Paddle the Nile. What can I say, I'm a woman on a mission...to paddle the Nile.
I was born in the England before moving to Australia to a place that I instantly fell in love with. It's been home ever since and I'm very proud to have become an Australian citizen.
Sport has been a huge part of my life, pretty much since I could walk. I've tried countless types, from horse riding to gymnastics, from windsurfing to skiing and everything in between.
Kayaking was a sport I started after joining my local surf club, North Bondi Surf Lifesaving Club. It started with surf skis and then ocean paddling and racing. I've met so many brilliant people through it, forged deep friendships and had heaps of fun on the way. It constantly challenges me and I have the best playground - out at Bondi, Sydney harbour and along the New South Wales coast. It never gets boring. And loving to compete I've done a few comps, including:
- ICF Ocean Racing World Championships 2017 Hong Kong (Gold, age group)
- Molokai Challenge 2017, Hawaii (3rd, women)
- Australian Ocean Racing Series 2017 (1st in series, women's masters)
- Coolangatta Gold Long Course 2014 (Gold, women's masters)
- US Surf Ski Championships 2014, San Fransisco (4th, age group)
Along with sport, travel and adventure is my passion. I have been very fortunate to go on some amazing trips and enjoyed some incredible experiences. Here are some of the highlights:
- Trekking to Annapurna Base Camp in Nepal
- Overland trip through Tibet
- Backpacking through Peru, Chile and Argentina which included a week playing polo in Argentina
- Trekking in Patagonia
- Scuba diving in Mozambique and Thailand
- Volunteering in Zambia
- Horse riding across the desert in Namibia and on safari in South Africa
- Driven across the Australian outback from Darwin to Broome
- Three months backpacking round the world
- Whitewater kayaking in Uganda
When it comes to work, my career has been mostly in banking in risk and project management. Two skills that will definitely come in handy with this expedition. I enjoy my work, but have continued to search for more. After much soul searching, researching and thinking I came up with this expedition. It was like the ultimate light bulb moment when it came together. It brings together all my passions and hankering for challenge.
So now my paddling is going to take me to a whole new place. Read here for what made me choose this challenge and why I want to do it.
I'm really looking forward to sharing this journey with you.
Thanks for reading
Sarah x x
This expedition is only possible with sponsorship support. A huge thank you to our partners.